Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Pictures You Take in Your Twenties

Photos of Barack Obama in 1980, by Lisa Jack

Telling you the truth, I am 56 years old, probably much older than some of my DREAMer readers would imagine.  Back when I was an 18 year old college student, I asked a cute photographer at Wharton County Junior College to take my photograph.  I still remember his name, it was Brian Noble.  I always wondered what happened to him.  He ended up taking pictures of me on a motorcycle.  He was nice enough to go into the dark room and print them for me.  I have to admit, I had a crush on him and it was an excuse to have a conversation, but he was courteous, took the pictures, gave them to me and never spoke to me again (except to say hi in the hallway).  Someday I'll find them and put them on the blog.

So here we have a young woman photographer (Lisa Jack) at Occidental College in 1980.  She asked a cute freshman if he'd let her photograph him.  Who would have thought that 29 years later, the guy would be President of the United States.  I think it is awesome.  

What it teaches us is that you never know what is going to happen in the future.  He may have shown his charisma then, but to be President?  

There is an exhibition opening at M+B Gallery in West Hollywood tomorrow (May 28, 2009).  If you are in the neighborhood, drop by and see it.

The moral of the story?  Always take pictures when you can.  You never know what will happen 30 years later.

"Photos Show Barack Obama as Barry the Freshman,"  Los Angeles Times, May 27, 2009

click here for Lisa Jack's Photos of Obama as published in Time Magazine

No comments: